Thursday, 28 November 2013

How To Accept Compliments!


"You are beautiful", "You did an amazing job today", "I love your top"... how many of you actually accept a compliment and take it in? and I mean truly believe it and not just flog it off! Compliments are wonderful gifts from others which can brighten your day but for some of you, you may find others making compliments to you makes you feel uncomfortable, awkward and not believing it, so here is my guide on how to accept compliments!

You can get several compliments in a day but if someone gives you just one negative comment it can make you forget any praise and the negative comment swirls around in your head making you doubt yourself or confirm any negative belief about yourself that you've had or maybe you just straight out right flog off any compliment you get because you don't believe it and feel unworthy of it. This is just self hating baby and you need to stop it right now! Why should you believe the negative over the positive? Seriously give me one good damn reason why?... I bet you have none ;) 

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"
-Marianne Williamson
 
I love this quote and it in fact really scares me because you can be as powerful as you wish which is actually a pretty scary thing. I often find myself falling into negative potholes along my journey where I want to run backwards because I'm scared of letting go, accepting love and being powerful. Negativity and hate are normal for me, like a home... its a sh!t pathway but one I know very well and where it leads. It's strange for me to feel love, positivity and power and that scares me because I don't know where it leads me which is exciting but terrifying at the same time. I have to trust that this path leads to many wonderful things and to pull myself out of that negative pothole and keep going. I bring this up because ignoring positive praise from others is feeding the negative wolf which in turn leads you to living in self hatred, not gaining in personal growth and not being that powerful person you can be.  


I believe it is really important to actually practise and learn the art of accepting compliments to build yourself up along with all that self loving to be the most powerful person you can be and to not ignore the positive praise someone gives you. Compliments can really make your day and make you realise things you may have not noticed or forgotten about yourself.

My Top Tips On How To Accept Compliments:
  1. Say Thank You: Instead of flogging off such a beautiful ray of sunshine take it on board and say Thank You, Merci, Arigato, Gracias, Kiitos... whatever language accept it baby!
  2. Give a compliment back: Find something you like about the person and give that gift of sunshine right back. I find myself scared of giving compliments in person because of the way people might react, but I try to push myself out of this zone to make someone smile. If you feel uncomfortable giving compliments try it with a few of your close family and friends and soon enough you will be complimenting the strangers in the street! 
  3. Write it down: Gala Darling's fab idea of writing down all the compliments you get in a diary even if it's just for one week. This can be something to remind yourself of all the wonderful things about yourself and to look at when that negativity starts creeping in or when you're feeling down. I also think a great idea is to write down any compliments you give to other people too!
Use what your parents taught you, your manners and say thank you the next time someone compliments you and don't forget to give one back, that sunshine will be your shinning light to a happier day!

Check out some of my other posts:

Love from the land of magic
Rainbow :) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment