Monday, 18 May 2015

Hair Timeline!


I thought I would share my hair timeline over the last 7 years, I was obsessed with the alternative culture from about a 11 years old and became really in love with the scene culture that took off overseas around 2007. A lot of the people I followed had this crazy individual sense of style and hair that I was deeply in love with and inspired by. Around this time Paramore released Misery Business and I was fangirling over Hayley Williams and her hair (Seriously who hasn't?!?!) so when I finally was aloud to have my hair dyed at 15 I went to the salon and asked for the brightest red and yellow possible they warned me it wouldn't come out as bright as the pictures as it was salon colours. It looked nice but not really what I wanted I craved BRIGHT ALTERNATIVE hair! I was still at school at the time so I decided on more of an emo/goth look of red and black but as soon as I left school that was it, it was outrageous hair colour time b!tches!

My brand of choice... Manic Panic a lot of the people I followed were using it too, had heard good reviews and it was vegan, even better was that I found Sinister Boutique an online New Zealand store sold it! I was put on to Katie whose cut and colouring skills are out of this world, I took my ideas to her and she would chuck her ideas into it and creative magical collaborations were born... the results TRUE MAGICAL LOVE! As she went on maternity leave and I wanted to save money I started colouring it myself, you'll most likely see when this took place... (9th row of pictures down) the more I've coloured it myself the better I've gotten over time. I eventually moved away and got really lucky with Pip whose pin up Barbie hair and style I'm in love with. Her cutting and shaving skills are insanely mad and beautiful collaborations of artistic creativity were born once again.

Each hairstyle tells a story and marks a time in my life that I could never truly express through words. They tell a story of struggle, pain, tears, courage, bravery, strength, acceptance, magic, power, bad assness and my message to the world. Changing my hair is extremely spiritual to me it's like letting go of the past and embracing the next part of my journey, it's like ridding myself of pain and finding a sense of freedom, matching my inside to my outside, giving myself wings when I don't know how to fly and well it is just me... you'll understand if you don't already when you find those things in life that fuel your majestic trailblazing fire inside. My hair has never been just a crazy hairstyle to me...  it's a part of my soul.

The more I have learnt and continue to learn about myself I know that creativity is my home, whether it's through my hair, training, fashion, writing or painting it's when I feel most passionate, most alive and at times most understood... what can I say I love the weird, outrageous, out of the box things in life and the more life experiences I have the more it confirms this is who I am. 

I hope this post inspires you to do the things that set your soul on fire or to find them, to be YOU, to be happy and to get that hairstyle you've been thinking of!

In the words of Lady Gaga "Living as free as my hair."

P.S: If you live in New Zealand and want some insanely badass hairdressers let me know!






























With love
Rainbow :) xoxo

18 comments:

  1. Wow, what a crazy hair journey! This would be so boring if I did this with my hairstyles over the years ^_^
    I really salute you for being brave enough to always express yourself through your styling (and of course, I was also fangirling over Hayley back then, haha)

    http://la-fille-lumineuse.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lena! Haha I'm sure we've all had crazy hair in some form or another, it's always so cool to see others style and hair through the years! :D Thank you so much! Yes she is boss! :)

      Delete
  2. oooh my god your hair is CRAZY!!! in a good way haha. you are so creative it´s hard to believe :D xx

    dresses-and-travels //@susandollparts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww thank you so much Susan, that means a lot! :)

      Delete
  3. You look great with super bright hair! Haha I'm so jealous of people who can rock colorful hair - I think it looks so cool and pretty!

    xx
    Kendra | It's a Bug's Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww thank you Kendra! Everyone can rock bright hair! :D

      Delete
  4. If you can just give me your hair now and you can take mine, that would be great! Thanks! Hahaha. I'd love to have bright colourful hair, but I am just too freaked out to since I've always had black hair!

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha thank you! You should totally try it, it's so much fun and at least if you went colourful it would be way easier to get it back to black if you didn't like it! :)

      Delete
  5. wow so cool!! love all the different shades!!

    http://fashionwalkinbrussels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! your hair is absolutely epic :D All I ever do with my hair is decide wether I'll just wake up and go to school or straighten it haha. I love this post :D and I love the meaning behind why you do this! I think it's so brave of you to work all of these amazing hair styles and pull them off as good as you do :)

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Crystal! Haha it's always so much fun just to have makeover days and be crazy with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to have super colourful hair just like you, back when I was 16-20. It was a fun time, but I decided I like my natural haircolour best ♥ Sometimes I miss the crazy hair times and I then add a few, a bit gentler colours (last time I ombre-d my hairtips green, the time before I added pink and purple streaks). I don't think I'll go full colour again, but who knows? :D
    That being said, this blogpost looks like a timeline of becoming more fab in each picture. I like the blue and green hair best (mainly because green is my favourite colour ever and I love how it mixes with blue, hehe). Thank you so much for sharing this ♥
    letscoba.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeh ya! Please tell me you have a post on your colourful hairstyles or can you do one?!?! Would love to see them! That sounds so cool ombre green hair tips, hehe it's always nice just to change it up and be funky. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Coba! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have kind of had a crazy hair style before from when you came to my house and you put the color hair spray thing and you put it into our hair. It looked so cool. We still have the hair spray in the cup bored.

    bloggingrapes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I still have the photos too! :D Have a gorgeous day Grace! <3

      Delete
  11. You suit colourful, bright hair colours so much! I'm not the sort of person who would die their hair an 'out-there hair colour', but you look so cool with these colours! I particularly liked the Superman s!

    Jess
    http://springbaby06.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww thank you! That was one of my favourites too! :)

      Delete