Wednesday, 26 August 2015

The Cut!


Over the last 5 months I've been in a cutting phase (the process of maintaining muscle and dropping body fat) prior to this I had spent 9 months on a bulking phase (the process of gaining muscle in which you do also put on some fat too). Over that bulking phase I put on 6kg of both muscle and fat and yes my abs from the left picture disappeared for about a year so I could put on more muscle, if you wish to read and understand more about the process of Bulking and Cutting click here.

By the end of that 9 month bulk I was having to eat 6-7 meals a day and close to 3000 calories to gain weight, my body was struggling to be able to get the food down and you get to this point in bulking where you just feel so bloated, yuck and tired because your body is trying to process it all. After hitting that 9 months I was ready to start a cutting phase which I was beyond excited about, you can check out more about my process of that bulk here.

Being an Ectomorph (hard gainer/petite body size/totally got the little genetics) the bulking/putting on muscle process is a slow, long, hard and eating a ton of food road however when it comes to the cutting process I can lean down pretty easily with minimal cardio (as much as I love it, it just strips muscle off me pretty quick which I don't want) and still be eating a good amount of food, so I have found the last 5 months pretty easy compared to my bulking phase ha!

One thing I did find hard this time was that my trainer had to drill into me is that the cutting process should be slow and tapered just as bulking should be too. In the past because I have to eat so high and I felt gross by the end of my bulks I would go and chop a crap load of food out and add in cardio sessions pretty quickly however this led me to lose a lot of the hard earned muscle that I had just spent gaining. I had 2 failed attempts at my 2nd bulking and cutting process because of this, struggles with injury and just being freaked out with how I felt during bulking (Battling a mental illness that doesn't want you to eat or gain weight has made it brutal at times!). This time I was determined not to fail which meant I had to listen and well it worked! (Thank you Bart if you read this haha)

Over the last 1.3 years I have gained 2-2.5kg of muscle which is pretty good considering it was my 2nd completed bulking and cutting phase and I'm an ectomorph. The 1st year you do a bulk, with proper training, nutrition and rest, you get newbie muscle gains which come a lot quicker, if you're also blessed with good muscle building genetics like I am not then you'll be on a damn good roll however if you are coming from an underweight background you'll also gain some muscle pretty easily too! After that it slows down a lot and it becomes harder to gain muscle. From what I've read online and talked to some people about the amount of muscle you can gain each time you do a proper bulk basically halves. If doing the bulking/cutting properly in about 4-5 years you'll be hitting or pretty close to your genetic potential of the max amount of muscle you can gain naturally.

I would like to point out in the photos above that abs can be funny wee things, unless you are super shredded which often doesn't equal healthy, abs can be poppin' out one day and kind of hiding the next this can all be down to the effects of carbs, water, sodium, if your pumped up from training, tans and lighting and posing. 

Here is what my training routine and nutrition was like during my cut, this is what worked for me and my body... everyone is different and this exact way will most likely not work for you. If you are interested in building muscle, losing weight, building strength or endurance I highly recommend seeing a Personal Trainer so they can help you with your training and nutrition.

Training:
Monday: Lower Body
Tuesday: Upper Body
Wednesday: 20 minutes HIIT training (Added in the last 2 months before that was 20 minutes light cardio)
Thursday: Lower Body
Friday: 20 minutes light cardio/rest
Saturday: Upper Body
Sunday: 20 minutes Abs/rest

Nutrition:
(Keep in mind that I'm vegetarian and this is what my nutrition currently looks like, my diet has been very slowly tapered down over the last 5 months from what I posted in The Bulk post and my percentage of carbs, protein and fats also changed which is posted at the bottom.)

Pre workout:
1/3 cup oats
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 Tbsp. peanut butter
4 egg whites
1 Cup yoghurt

Post workout:
400mls milk
1 scoop whey protein
1/4 cup quinoa (raw measurement)

Meal 3:
5 egg whites + 1 whole egg
1 cup mushrooms
1 carrot
1/2 cup green capsicum
1 wholegrain wrap

Meal 4:
1 scoop whey protein
Banana
9 almonds
1 cup pumpkin

Meal 5:
5 egg whites
1 cup broccoli
2 cups spinach
9 almonds
1/3 cup oats

Calories: 2000
Carbs: 225 grams 45%
Protein: 178 grams 35%

Fats: 45 grams 20%

With love
Rainbow :) xoxo

53 comments:

  1. Wow! This seriously takes so much time and effort :O How do you do it all!!? This is the epitome of bad assery :D Just look at how fit and lean you are!!! It's such a rewarding feeling when something that you have been working on for so long, finally pays off. If you don't mind me asking, have you always been a vegetarian or was it something you decided on doing not that long ago? I've always thought about it, but honestly I'm so picky with food that I would be the worst at it and I do love my meats but at times I feel so grossed out by it and cannot eat the food if I know where it comes from (which is just so ironic and contradicting to be honest haha) but I just always found vegetarianism so interesting (although it's not something I would be able to do) . This is such a great post :D Keep up the good work Rainbow <3 Your hard work is definitely noticeable :D

    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha it's pretty much my life... like seriously well kind of haha. Usually an hour work out in the morning when it's a weight training day and I spend about 30 minutes to an hour food prepping every night and then once a week for about half an hour I plan out my diet for the next week. In a lot of ways it becomes a marriage lol, you have good times and bad times but I love it! Oh hell yeh! Naww thank you so much Crystal! I've been vegetarian for 4 years and it's awesome, I wasn't eating much meat before hand but I would have a few days where I wouldn't have it at all and then I just went full on veggie. I've heard a lot of people will just slowly cut down on their meats and replace it with veggie dishes or have certain days a week where they don't eat meat, I think that's a good way if you're wanting to test the waters and you can always go back to eating meat if you want. You just got to be aware of things like iron and your omega 3's which is where things like your quinoa and flaxseed oil comes in handy. Thank you so much Crystal! Have a beautiful day! <3

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have taken a lot of dedication and effort to build muscles which is definitely a great achievement in my opinion! Thanks for sharing your experience!

    Prudence
    http://www.prudencepetitestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Prudence! Have a beautiful day! :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Endurance and hard work is the key to everything. i think i will get myself a personal trainer to help me accomplish this,,, thank you
    http://melaniaivy.blogspot.co.ke/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you go girl!!! Have a gorgeous day Ivy! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, I really admire your perseverance and endurance in something like this. It must be so tough but clearly, it's working very well for you- you look ace! Keep it up girl <3

    goodmorningbelle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vicky! Have a beautiful day! <3

      Delete
  6. Congratulations ! That's such an amazing achievement ! Go you !

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marianne! Have a gorgeous day! <3

      Delete
  7. You are looking amazing. Your workouts seem crazy I don't know how you do it but go you, you are doing such a great job! :D

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  8. OHH wow you look amazing !!! Its a hard work and good healthy eating - really WOW !!! Congratulations <3

    have a wonderful day!
    kiss :***

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww thank you, have a beautiful day Joanna! <3

      Delete
  9. Holy cow you are absolutely amazing! My husband has quite a hard time keeping enough weight on to turn into muscle as well and his nutritionist created a diet plan where he has to eat 2800 calories a day which is a struggle for him! I am going to have him read this post as there is so much good information in it AND your meals look great! Thanks for all the info and congrats on the great job, you look amazing! You put in so much effort and hard work and I can definitely see the results of that! XO -Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh I wasn't feeling the greatest when I got to about 2700, 2 of my meals were shakes blended up and then I would also blend my breakfast of like oats, yogurt, banana, protein powder up as well just so I could get it down. My meals were basically spaced every 2-3 hours just so I could get them in, definitely halving a meal and creating another meal time worked well for me to get it down as well. I also ended up eating way too much protein at one point because I had to eat so high which wasn't helping me to get the food down since it makes you fuller so my trainer basically told me to drop my protein and increase my fats, fats become easier to get down because they are higher in calories per gram compared to protein and carbs, and the amount you have to eat physically is a lot smaller. Quiet a few people eat higher fats as they are also a fuel source like carbs and then do medium protein and medium carbs. Hope all this info helps and I totally feel his struggle! Thank you so much Kim! <3

      Delete
    2. That is great info! I know he would rather take some of his meals in shakes as well so that is good to know but also with the higher fats, that totally makes sense! Thanks for sharing your knowledge Rainbow, it is so so so so helpful! Love you! -Kim

      Delete
  10. This is such an exciting post!

    ** I'm inviting you to join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!


    xoxo;
    BEAUTYEDITER.COM

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look amazing! I wish i could stick to something like that, i never can *sighs* Well done xx
    Daizy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty hard core with it, but there is a way for everyone seeing a Personal Trainer will always be your best help! Have a lovely day! :)

      Delete
  12. great post ! :) have a wonderful day!!

    http://www.itsmetijana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. What amazing progress! I'm in the process of trying to tone up my body and let me say, it's so hard to stay motivated. I feel like I'm not seeing results, but seeing your progress pics over a year gives me hope :) It's going to take a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww hun, seriously stick with it and it will come I promise, sometimes the hardest part is learning to trust the process. A few really good ways to stay motivated is doing something you love, if you love what you're doing for the most part you'll stick with it, make it work for you!, don't just do it for the physical progress cause at some point in this journey it will really mess with your head find another reason it may be to be healthy, be strong, a positive coping mechanism, also find something in your workouts that you are proud of or felt good... if it was that you lifted a bit heavier, could do a push up or the fact that you really enjoyed doing those squats etc. You can do this girl! Thank you and have a beautiful day Katelyn!

      Delete
  14. Wow, really admire you for this - looks like you really persevered with this very difficult process! Can't believe you had to eat so much, but it definitely paid off - you look amazing! I think I definitely need to gain some muscle, this has by far inspired me to get a move on with it.

    //teandtwosugars.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeh, thank you so much Georgia! Have a beautiful day and good luck, if you need any help or advice you know where to find me! <3

      Delete
  15. You look great! love how you posted the results. Keep up the great work your blog inspires me every time I read it :-) http://www.bauchlefashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww thank you so much Heather! Have a beautiful day! <3

      Delete
  16. This is so inspirational and I love the way you write it shows how dedicated you are & how inspired you are to achieve yous goals, keep it going girl!:*

    Btw, I would appreciate so much if you visit my blog & tell me what do you think about my latest outfit which is actually the last one till September, when I come back with more fall looking ones!
    Kisses from Macedonia:*

    http://christinearabela.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww thank you so much! Have a lovely day! :)

      Delete
  17. You have such an amazing body, well done pretty lady!

    Sarah x
    www.palmtreesandheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah! Have an amazing day! :)

      Delete
  18. You've made some amazing progress! Thank you for sharing your routine// meals. That helps A LOT. I always tire so quickly from HIIT training, but it does work wonders!

    Congrats! Hard work pays off!

    www.lindseyginge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! It indeed does! The science behind it is basically that you're pushing past your fitness threshold in that short time therefore making you fitter and stronger quicker and making you pretty smashed in a short amount of time. It's so good though! Thank you so much! Have a gorgeous day! :)

      Delete
  19. WOOOW!! Rainbow I wouldn't want to end up in a fight with you (hehe)
    But You go gurl!!! Do you :)
    You're inspiring me now, I can hardly stay dedicated when it comes to weight loss or gain
    I hope you don't mind me saying that, that June 2014 picture *_* (is STOMACH GOALS #bellygoals)
    have a great day

    http://itsjustwinnie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Winnie! Naww girl it's finding a way that works for you and making it sustainable and there is a way for everyone! Naww thank you so much, according to measurements I'm around the same body fat% now as I was in June 2014 that photo is just darker and my ab's were on a poppin' out day lol! Have a great day too Winnie! :)

      Delete
  20. Its inspirational how much work you put it and clearly its worth it your body is amazing!!
    Chloe xx
    http://chloebee1.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww thank you So much Chloe! Have a gorgeous day! <3

      Delete
  21. Your muscles are impressive, you're doing great work, dear, thank you for sharing your story, because I think it's inspiration for other people ;) And personally it seems to me that I'm ectomorph too, I find that it's so hard to putting any muscles to my petite body too (but I check this website out! :D)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha aww thank you Ivonne! I feel you on that girl, ectomorph struggles! ;) Have a beautiful day Ivonne! <3

      Delete
  22. Oh wow, your routine is hardcore as fuck. I wish I had your willpower xD
    Also, I love how healthy you are and how confident you look in your body.
    Super proud of everything you achieved ♥ Go Girl!

    letscoba.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha aww thanks Coba, it's been built up over a few years. I was so weak when I started my trainer at the time had to give me an attachment from the cable machine instead of a barbell to bicep curl XD. There is a way for everyone! Thank you once again Coba! Have a beautiful day! :)

      Delete
  23. Your transition is amazing and I can't wait to try those recipes!! You are a Boss Girl! xx
    alicelouisealk.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww thank you so much Alice! Have a wonderful day! <3

      Delete
  24. It's the first time I've come across this and it sounds great! Well done on your continual motivation and efforts to succeed and best of luck with the rest of this process :)

    Pop over to my blog :)

    Sarah
    https://everydayconcepts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, congrats on all of your hard work! It's definitely showing and you look amazing! XO
    -Lauren Blair
    www.prefertobedemure.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. It sounds like you put in a lot of hard work and are getting great results. Congratulations!

    astylishlovestory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete