Wednesday, 14 September 2016

Push Up Challenge For Veteran Suicide & PTSD



So you may or may not have seen/heard about the 22 push ups for 22 days challenge going around and well if you're friends with me on my personal Facebook I've potentially been popping up daily on your news feed with it and well for such a great cause I thought I would share it on my blog too. 

22Kill.com is trying to bring awareness that every day an average of 22 veterans take their own lives and for some Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can play it's part in leading to suicide too. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a mental disorder that can develop after a person is exposed to a traumatic event. Symptoms include re-experiencing the traumatic event through nightmares, flashbacks and also having extreme anxiety, feelings of distress, constant fear, shame, hopelessness and guilt, depression, insomnia, withdrawal from others, feeling disconnected or numb and self destructive behaviours.

To raise awareness for veteran suicide prevention through education and empowerment and also to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and what people sufferer with in silence they are asking people to do 22 push ups everyday for 22 days, their goal is to reach 22 million push ups, in which they are also trying to raise funds which you can donate here if you would like.

You can check out all 22 days of mine over on my YouTube channel in which I did 22 different types of push ups from Jumping, Tiger to Feet Clapping, Spiderman and more! I would also like to shout out Muscle and Mat for his video 100 Different Push Ups for helping me out in which he has everything for when you're just starting out to really difficult to anything in between! For anyone wondering I do normal push ups 98-99% of the time in my training in which I have just gotten really strong in them over the years having started from a box push up (easier then knees!), so yes it is possible to get there!  

If you wish to take part here are the rules!

Film yourself each day doing 22 push-ups for 22 days. Each day also nominate a different person.
* Once you are nominated your 22 days start the following day.
* Every day you record yourself doing 22 push-ups. Try your best to reach 22. If that means doing assisted (from your knees) push-ups or that you have to stop and take a break that's fine but try to get them all done in one video.
* Every day you must nominate a different person. Try to choose people you think will want to do this and/or have the ability to do it.
* And finally, have fun with this. 

Also use these hash tags so they are counted towards their 22 million! #Mentalhealth #PTSD #22pushups for #22KILL #Awareness #mentalhealthawareness

With magic from me to you
Rainbow :) xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Great challenge! I am so proud you did it. ;)
    I've missed you so much, but I am back again!
    Love,
    Liliann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww thanks! I've missed you too Liliann!!! <3 xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lol I don't subscribe to too many people on YouTube so every few hours I have 1-3 notifications in my subscription box. Yesterday I got 24 within the span of an hour and most were you haha! I knew you were doing it via Facebook though. Great cause lady!! XO
    Lauren-Blair
    www.gracerock-kellyroll.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahhaha just taking over your notifications LOL XD <3 xoxo

      Delete
  3. One of my friends was doing this challenge last month!! I loved seeing her progress & dailu updates! I am sooooo hopeless at pushups!!! Honestly, not being dramatic but my arms are so weak (hands are strong but arms... lol, no workie). I do want to make them stronger. What would you recommend to start with, sweetie (not to overdo from the very start)?
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay it just takes time and consistency. Try adding in knee push ups to your workouts for 3-4 sets of 15 if knee ones are too much you can move yourself more into a boxed position to make it a bit easier. Also if you're at the gym doing them add in things like chest machines: chest press machine and if you youtube Pec Dec that too, also dumbbell chest press's are good. Always do the harder exercises first when training too so you have a less likely hood of injuring yourself from fatigue. So you could do say Dumbbell chest press, push ups, chest press machine, pec Dec machine and then say if you wanted to finish off with some tricep exercises like tricep dips and tricep rope pull down all for 3-4 sets of 15. Do that like once a week or add some of those exercises into a upper or full body workout and over time you should start to see some strength building up! :) <3 xoxo

      Delete